How to set up an email in Apple Mail
Alternatively follow this tutorial to manually set up you mail account:
This guide takes you step-by-step through the process of setting up a new email account in older Apple Mail version. Refer to our Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra set up guides for newer OS X versions. (To find your version: click the Apple logo at screen top left > About this Mac)
If the Mail account is already set up, but giving errors – then refer to our Troubleshooting guide.
Note: This guide defaults to IMAP and No SSL.
Replace example.com with your domain name
1. Launch Apple Mail.
2. From the toolbar at the top, select File and then Add Account.
Apple Mail Setup
3. Enter your name (which will appear the “From” field in your emails), email address and password, then click Continue
Incoming Server Settings
4. Complete the information:
- Account Type can be IMAP or POP (IMAP is default)
- Description (optional) e.g. Hetzner
- Incoming Mail Server is mail.(your domain name) or IP Address
- User Name is your full email address
- Password is your mailbox password (as in previous screen)
5. Apple Mail will now test the connection to the specified mail server. Once this is complete, click Continue.
Incoming Mail Security
6. When the Incoming Mail Security screen appears, leave Use Secure Socket Layer unticked and click Continue.
Outgoing Server Settings
7. Enter the outgoing mail server and ensure that the Use Authentication checkbox is ticked.
8. Enter your username and password (if these fields are not automatically populated) then click Continue.
Incoming Mail Security
9. When the Outgoing Mail Security screen appears, leave Use Secure Socket Layer unticked and click Continue.
10. View the account summary and click Create. Ticking the Take my account online checkbox will ensure that your account is activated immediately.
You have completed your account setup
11. Your Mac mail program should now be set up to send and receive mail, however, to avoid issues in future, continue with these tweaks:
Select Preferences menu
12. Click on the Mail menu and then click Preferences.
Check account settings
13. Click on the Accounts tab and select the relevant account.
On the Account Information tab all settings should be correct
6. Click on the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) drop down menu.
Edit SMTP Server List
7. Select “Edit SMTP Server List…” from the drop down list.
Confirm SMTP Server
8. Select your SMTP server from the list.
9. Confirm that your Server Name is entered correctly.
10. Select the Advanced tab.
Confirm Advanced SMTP Settings
11. Ensure that your settings look like the settings shown in this screenshot below.
12. Your email account should now be configured correctly.